Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Eat Up!

Cooking creativity comes and goes for me. When I'm on it, watch out and when I'm not, you'll have to stop me from throwing every single dish and pot in the trash!
This week a took a page out of Chipotle's menu and made it my own and also found some creative uses for the leftovers!
First, I made some beef tips in the crock pot and topped a romaine salad with the beef, rice, cheese, black bean and corn salsa, more "regular" salsa and put a few chips on the side.
Then, I mixed the brown rice with the black bean salsa and the next day scrambled eggs and made a whole wheat burrito with eggs, cheese, and brown rice/salsa mix.
Today I used the remaining rice to make a grilled cheese with a "fried style" egg and of course brown rice/salsa mix. Incredible!

Here are a few of the recipes with plenty of room for interpretation!

Mexican Beef Tips

2lbs beef tips
1 can rotel
cumin, corriander, salt, pepper
fresh garlic
chopped onion

Once th ebeef tips have cooked in the crock pot transfer them to a baking sheet, squeeze the juice from half and orange and bake on 375 for 30 minutes. Turn the beef tips a few times to brown/crisp equally. This will take your beef tips from a taco/burrito consistency(saucy) to a carnitas feel(drier but flavorful).
Like I said, plenty of room for interpretation. You as much or as little of the seasonings or change them up for more of an Asain flair. I would love to know how you would do it differently.

Black Bean and Corn Salsa
This is our favorite Girl's Night In staple. My friend Tiff makes it and I have to say, mine was not nearly as good. Tiff, if you are reading this. Tell me how to perfect it!

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can corn, no salt or sugar added
chooped onion
cilantro
2 diced tomatoes
garlic
salt
pepper
lime juice
Chop, mix, chill. Basically!

I made the brown rice as directed on the bag. When I mixed it with the salsa above, I added 2T olive oil and more lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment